GSP’s WINGSPAN Surpassing Construction Goals
Date: September 18, 2012
WINGSPAN, Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport’s terminal improvement program, is projected to exceed the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) and local vendor participation goals for the Rental Car Customer Center renovation.
As it nears completion, the Rental Car Customer Center project is on target to meet or exceed the 11 percent DBE participation goal. Additionally, the project is predicted to surpass the program’s commitment to utilize at least 70 percent of subcontractors and materials from the Upstate; the current percentage of local participation is 80 percent.
“We are pleased to continue our commitment to Upstate vendors,” said GSP President and CEO Dave Edwards. “The initiatives we have successfully executed during the Rental Car Customer Center project will set the bar for the WINGSPAN program and the renovations still to come.”
Led by Skanska Moss, a joint venture between Skanska USA Building and local contractor Moss & Associates, the Rental Car Customer Center project is the first of several renovations that will be completed during Phase 1 of WINGSPAN. The Rental Car Customer Center, located in Garage A, will provide travelers with a one-stop center for car rental needs. Other projects in Phase 1 include the expansion of Concourses A and B, construction of the North Wing for temporary airline facilities and utility/infrastructure renovations. In addition to eventually housing the airport’s administration offices, the North Wing will also serve as the first phase build-out of the future second baggage claim area.
The Rental Car Customer Center project utilizes several local subcontractors during renovations. The full list includes the following:
· Advanced Fire Protection | Travelers Rest, S.C.
· ARC | Greenville, SC
· BC Cannon | Greenville, S.C.
· Cannon Roofing | Spartanburg, S.C.
· Cook & Boardman | Simpsonville, S.C.
· Diversified Electronics | Greenville, S.C.
· E. Luke Greene Company, Inc. | Spartanburg, S.C.
· Freeland & Associates | Greenville, SC
· Froehling & Robertson, Inc. | Greenville, S.C.
· Gaylor Inc. of NC | Gray Court, S.C.
· Graham Hodge | Greenville, S.C.
· Harold Hendricks Cleaning | Piedmont, SC
· Heritage Tile, Inc. | Greenville, S.C.
· Hodge Carpets | Spartanburg, S.C.
· Minton Sign Shop | Greer, SC
· ML Builders LLC | Mauldin, S.C.
· SMI-Owen Steel Company/CMC SC Steel | Taylors, S.C.
· Utility Specialists | Pelzer, SC
· W.N. Kirkland, Inc. | Spartanburg, S.C.
· Waldrop, Inc. | Spartanburg, S.C.
· Walker-Whitesides, Inc. | Greenville, S.C.
· Wurster Engineering | Greenville, S.C.
Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP) launched WINGSPAN, a four-year terminal improvement program in May that will modernize the main terminal building, improve passenger flow and upgrade the facility. Skanska Moss, a joint venture between Skanska USA Building and local contractor Moss & Associates, is serving as construction manager at-risk, Jacobs Engineering is serving as program manager and RS&H is serving as lead architect and engineer. GSP will seek as many local subcontractors as possible to participate, continuing its commitment to economic development throughout the Upstate. The terminal will remain operational throughout the entire process.