Apply for Job
Back to list
Position Summary (Primary Function)
Under direct supervision, performs assigned work and fire service functions. Have the ability to progress at a normal rate through various training activities. Perform other duties as assigned by the shift supervisor.
Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Provide fire protection for aircraft and airport district.
- Provide first responder medical assistance to the general public.
- Respond to hazardous material incidents.
- Perform other duties specified in the Airport Emergency Plan.
- On call for emergencies and overtime as needed.
- Responsible for daily, weekly, semi-annual, and annual equipment inspections.
- Attend training as required.
- Perform station duties, clean-ups and maintenance.
- Perform related work as assigned.
Education Requirements (Evaluation Factors: Skills, Education, Experience, Ability)
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- This position requires twelve months training to become proficient in all phases of the job.
- One year fire service experience preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge in the use of a personal computer preferred.
- Ability to withstand a 10 year background check and drug test
- Knowledge of fire ground operations a plus.
- Ability to train and maintain required certifications.
- Must be able take and pass the employee medical physical required by this department.
- Must successfully complete an annual medical physical designed for the performance and requirements of the job.
- Valid Class B commercial driver license or be able to obtain an Class E South Carolina driver license within six months
- Must be able to obtain airport driver permit within six months and be able to drive all fire department vehicles including those with automatic and manual transmissions.
- IFSAC Firefighter 2 – or Equivalent
- IFSAC Hazardous Material Operation Level-or Equivalent
- EMT Basic – or Dot First Responder Medical
- GSP Airport Fire fighter Level 2 within six months of hire
- Reasonable care for equipment/process will prevent injury/damage.
- Responsible for own work, but must coordinate work with others.
- Physical Demand - Use of personal protective equipment is required.
- May be exposed to heat, cold, rain, snow and a noisy working environment.
- Must possess the ability to perform strenuous physical activities such as lifting heavy fire fighting equipment, lifting and carrying people and equipment for rescue and salvage, engage in sustained physical exertion and perform arduous work under adverse conditions and maintain physical fitness pertinent to the work.
- Mental and/or Visual Demand - Mental and visual demands are high and vary with function performed. Consistent mental attention needed to respond safely and efficiently.
- Attentiveness to work procedure will reduce potential risk of injury in work areas.
- Will be required to work in a normal fire service environment which includes close working and living conditions.
Apply for Job
- This position requires uncommon tours of duty to include but not limited to weekends and holidays, rotating shift assignments and overtime duty.
- Will be subject to recall after normal duty hours.