Aviation Services Supervisor
Apply for Job
Back to list
Position Summary (Primary Function)
The Aviation Services Supervisor position is responsible for the supervision of all operational and administrative aspects of the Airport Aviation Services Group. Position also performs other duties as assigned by the Aviation Services Manager.
Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
• Develops, administers and/or oversees the training program for the Aviation Services Group. Evaluates and recommends training requirements for Group personnel.
• Supervises employees performing a wide variety of ground handling tasks, including but not limited to: parking, chocking, servicing and towing aircraft, loading and unloading of passenger bags and/or cargo containers/pallets, check-in, enplanement and deplanement of passengers, build up and break down of cargo. Monitors outside contractors hired to perform contract services.
• Interfaces with airlines and brokers in contracting Group services and in gathering information related to necessary services and schedules.
• Coordinates and ensures adequate personnel coverage for Group operations.
• Provides key operational information to peer supervisors/leads needed to supervise their respective shifts.
• Disseminates approved departmental information to Group agents.
• Monitors departmental equipment supply and readiness and maintenance needs. Submits purchase orders for approval in the purchase of supplies and equipment based upon departmental needs and budgetary constraints.
• Executes accurate and appropriate billing for Group services rendered and for reported non-tenant aircraft operations.
• Practices and advocates safety and customer service in a potentially dangerous aviation environment that also directly interfaces with the general public.
• Services time cards and facilitates work time recording process.
• Manages employee performance
• Responsible for any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Aviation Services Manager.
Education Requirements (Evaluation Factors: Skills, Education, Experience, Ability)
• Associate degree in any field or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must exhibit the desire to continue training and increase knowledge needed to stay abreast of changing industry regulations, standards and procedures.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Three years of air cargo ground handling (or related) experience with a minimum of 1 year in a related leadership position.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Proficiency in the use of a personal computer is necessary, including skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, or Windows.
• This position requires skills in prioritization, organization, verbal communications and interpersonal relations, and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Supervision of ground handling personnel.
• Valid South Carolina Driver’s License
• Must be able to pass TSA & CBP security background checks.
• Must have or be willing and able to obtain GSC and haz-mat certifications.
• Diligence must be exercised when handling confidential information.
• Reasonable care for equipment/processes will prevent safety incidences and security breaches.
• Responsible for own work, but must coordinate work with others.
Apply for Job
• Physical Demand - Use of personal protective equipment is required. Exposed to heat, cold, rain and snow in a noisy environment. Must possess the ability to perform strenuous physical activities such as lifting passenger bags, engage in sustained physical exertion and perform arduous work under adverse conditions and maintain physical fitness pertinent to the work.
• Mental and/or Visual Demand - Mental and visual demands are high and vary with function performed. Consistent mental attention needed to respond safely and efficiently.
• Attentiveness to work procedure will reduce potential risk of injury in work areas.
• Specific vision abilities include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, and depth perception. This employee is required to have the visual acuity to analyze data and figures, operate a computer terminal.
• Exposed to normal office environment and normal aviation environment.
• This position requires uncommon tours of duty to include but not limited to weekends, nights and holidays, rotating shift assignments and overtime duty.
• Subject to recall, contracting, scheduling and coordinating after normal duty hours.